For seniors wanting a cooking partner and some good conversation, our Seniors Helping Seniors caregivers are here for you!
- 2 packets of active dry yeast
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup of warm water
- 1 ½ cups of warmed milk
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ⅓ cup of shortening
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 5 cups of flour
- 1 quart of vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup of softened butter
- 2 cups of confectioners' sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons of hot water
- Flavored frosted icing (optional)
- Candied toppings of your choosing (optional)
- Start by sprinkling the yeast over your warmed water and let it stand for around 5 minutes. When it appears foamy, mix in a large bowl along with 2 cups of the flour, milk, sugar, salt, eggs, and shortening. Whisk ingredients together slowly, using a wooden spoon for best results. Add in the remaining flour until the dough no longer sticks to the bowl.
- Knead your dough for 4-5 minutes. Place the dough into a greased bowl, cover, and set in a warm area to allow it to double in size.
- Next, place the dough onto a floured counter or cutting board. Begin rolling pieces of dough to approximately ½ inch thickness. Let doughnuts sit and proof, until double in size. Cover doughnuts with a cloth.
- In the meantime, melt your butter in a saucepan and stir in confectioners' sugar and vanilla, until buttery. Remove saucepan from heat and stir in hot water, one tablespoon at a time, until the icing is thinned. Set this aside for later.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet to 350°. Gently slide your doughnuts into the oil using a spatula or tongs. Turn your doughnuts over when they rise to the surface. Fry on each side until golden brown.
- Drain on a wire rack or place each doughnut on a paper towel to soak up excess grease.
- Now, grab your icing and dip your doughnuts into the glaze while they are still hot. Place on the rack and sprinkle on any other toppings you'd like.
Enjoy the sweetness while sipping on some morning coffee or even for a late-night treat!
Seniors Helping Seniors® in-home services is an exceptional program of care and compassion that matches seniors who want to provide services with those who are looking for help. Our caregivers can assist seniors with making donuts and other treats, meal preparation, providing transportation to doctor's visits, companionship for outings, light housekeeping, shopping, and running other errands, and so much more.
We like to say it's... Like getting a little help from your friends®
We serve all of southwest Broward County, Florida, including Miramar, Pembroke Pines, Davie, Cooper City, Weston, Southwest Ranches, Plantation, and Sunrise.