March welcomes the start of the spring season, bringing with it a host of positive aspects like longer days, perfect weather, and a renewed sense of life in the world. It also means it’s time to buckle down and do some serious spring cleaning! With the right attitude and tips – like the following Seniors Helping Seniors® suggestions – tidying up your home can be truly satisfying and leave you feeling refreshed!
Before we get into the nitty-gritty of tackling this chore, however, let’s discuss some reasons you should actually look forward to this seasonal undertaking.
Benefits of a Well-Maintained Home
Deep cleaning your house carries with it some advantages that are helpful for both mental and physical health, as well as overall safety. In addition, it fosters a sense of accomplishment that will leave you feeling fantastic!
Maximize Mental Health
Aside from the sense of calm that accompanies waking up to an orderly, aesthetically pleasing house, spring cleaning provides a sense of control over your environment – something that can remain a constant when other areas of life feel hard to manage. The repetitive motions associated with scrubbing or polishing can be meditative as well, helping to reduce stress.
Boost Physical Benefits
Cleaning can be a good workout too! Moving items, buffing, pushing a vacuum, and wiping down surfaces all get the heart pumping and work muscles throughout the body.
But don’t go overboard – some housework can be quite strenuous. When it’s time to tackle heavy lifting, tasks that require lots of reaching or stooping, or the use of cumbersome equipment, reach out to a Seniors Helping Seniors® companion or family member for some extra assistance.
A decluttered home is a safer home, especially for independent seniors. Research indicates that one out of four seniors will suffer a fall at home each year but keeping spaces clear can go a long way in preventing these accidents. A clutter-free home is also easier to exit during an emergency situation, like a fire, and is better for overall health as piles of books, papers, furniture, and clothing can be a breeding ground for dust, mold, and bacteria.
Now that you know the importance of maintaining a tidy living space, check out this Seniors Helping Seniors® game plan for making spring cleaning efficient, satisfying, and fun!
Your Spring-Cleaning Action Plan
A seasonal refresh of your home doesn’t have to be a chore. Engage in the following methods and you’ll get into the groove in no time!
Step #1: Take It Room By Room
Trying to tackle the entire house can seem overwhelming and impossible. Instead, break up cleaning into smaller tasks that can be spread out over the entire month. For example, take on one or two rooms every weekend.
Before jumping in, however, go through each room and make a list of specific jobs to accomplish, jotting down areas that need extra attention and noting any special projects. Having a list for each section of your home will keep you and your helpers organized and on track!
Step #2: Declutter
For the most efficient spring-cleaning process, remove unneeded items before you begin. Purging can be tough, but these tips from Seniors Helping Seniors® in-home services can help make this part of the process a little easier:
- Separate items into four piles: Keep, Toss, Recycle, Donate/Sell/Repurpose
- Stay positive – keep in mind the reasons you’re getting rid of these items, like continuing your independence, making room for your grandchildren’s artwork, or clearing space to work on hobbies.
- Organize important documents so they can be easily found in an emergency and dispose of expired medication and food items.
Step #3: Clean, Clean, Clean!
Equip yourself with all the necessary supplies and dive in! To ensure a thorough spring-cleaning experience, check off the following tasks:
- Wipe down or dust baseboards, ceiling fans, light fixtures, vents, and blinds and remove dirt from window tracks
- Launder linens, including furniture covers, throws, curtains, small rugs, shower curtains and liners, bed pillows, and mattress pads
- Move furniture (if possible) and clean underneath
- Sanitize surfaces and fixtures in bathrooms and kitchens
- Clean the inside of appliances like refrigerators and ovens, and run disinfecting cycles on your washer, dryer, and dishwasher
Tip: As you put belongings back on shelves and in drawers, leave frequently used items within easy reach to cut down on stretching, stooping, and having to use a step stool.
Step #4: Get Social
Spring cleaning can be a tedious job, so enlist the help of friends, family members, and your Seniors Helping Seniors® companion! Not only will this help you knock it out quickly, it will also sprinkle in a bit of fun and bonding throughout!
Try these tips for tackling spring cleaning as a team:
- Block out time to work – whether a few hours a day or a weekend-long marathon, make sure your recruits know when you plan on their help.
- Go over your “to-do” list before taking on each room – this will keep the whole team on track!
- Work together for efficiency. For example, have one person take all the items out of your kitchen cabinets, organizing as they go, while another person wipes down the inside of each cupboard.
Spring cleaning doesn’t have to be something you dread – it can actually leave you feeling accomplished, clear-headed, and rejuvenated! Seniors Helping Seniors® in-home services continually strives to share ways our care receivers can retain independence and a vigor for life, and no matter the job, we’re ALWAYS here to lend a kind hand!
Seniors Helping Seniors® in-home services is an exceptional program of care and compassion that matches seniors who want to provide services with those who are looking for help. Our caregivers can assist seniors with meal preparation, light housekeeping, providing transportation to doctor's visits, shopping, and running other errands, and so much more.
We like to say it's... Like getting a little help from your friends®
We service all of Southwest Broward County, Florida. Give us a call today at 954-202-5200.